Tuesday, July 30, 2019

What Is Even the Point of This?

I haven't been able to get this case out of my head lately, so I'm putting my thoughts into writing in the hopes that that solves my problem.

The facts are these - guy accidentally leaves two of his kids in a hot car, goes to work, and eight hours later they're dead. A fucking tragedy. I feel for the guy, for his wife and for his three surviving kids - their family's fucking torn apart and this guys gonna have to live with the guilt of that for the rest of his life.

Then the DA's office for the Bronx gets involved and decides their gonna make it all better the only way they can - by charging him with manslaughter and negligent homicide. What is even the point of this? What good will this serve? How will this advance justice?

The point(s) of the criminal justice system are (per Wikipedia):

  1. Deterrence  - "we don't want people to do this, we need to make an example of him"
  2. Retribution / Moral Support for Victim - "guys got to pay for what he did"
  3. Rehabilitation / Reform - "he learned his lesson and won't do it again"
The guy fucked up and killed two of his kids. What could the criminal justice system do on any of these fronts that's more potent than what's already happened?

Who is reading this story and going "Well, I was planning on being a negligent parent and a risking the lives of my kids, but now that I see I could face criminal penalties for killing my babies, I'll shape up and fly right?"

What provides more moral support for the family of the victim by tearing that family apart even more than its already been torn apart.

And reform, do these guys really think that he negligently killed some of his kids but they if don't send him to prison he might negligently kill the rest of them?

The best, most generous possible fucking argument for the decision to go after this is that its just an awareness raising measure; but all of this - all of this! - the press coverage, the trial, and any potential punishment, is going to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. You're seriously telling me that this is better way to raise awareness than dropping that cash on ad campaign? That you're willing to throw a guy in prison for years as fucking publicity stunt?

No comments:

Post a Comment